STC Solids and Liquids: Goals
In this unit, students expand their awareness of the properties of solids and liquids. Their experiences introduce them to the following concepts, skills, and attitudes.
- Solids and liquids can be described by their properties.
- Some properties of solids are color, shape, ability to roll or stack, hardness, magnetic attraction, and whether they float or sink.
- Some properties of liquids are color, tendency to flow, degree of viscosity or fluidity, whether they are miscible with water, and whether they float or sink in water.
- Tests can be performed to investigate properties of solids and liquids that cannot otherwise be observed.
- Observing and describing the properties of solids and liquids.
- Conducting tests to investigate the properties of solids and liquids.
- Sorting solids into groups on the basis of their properties.
- Comparing similarities and differences among solids.
- Comparing similarities and differences among liquids.
- Applying tests to investigate new solids and liquids.
- Comparing the properties of solids with the properties of liquids.
- Communicating ideas, observations, and experiences through writing, drawing, and discussion.
- Accepting that there is more than one way to describe solids and liquids.
- Recognizing the importance of organizing information and results on charts.
- Developing an interest in investigating the physical world.